Thursday, October 9, 2008

Grandfather's Journey - Caldecott Illustrator Award


Grandfather's Journey, by Allen Say is the winner of the Caldecott Award because of its illustrations. This book shows beautiful sunsets, flowing rivers, and endless fields. Though I felt the people in the pictures were rather lifeless, I absolutely loved the scenery. Especially in the picture of the sunset on the ocean, I felt like I could step into the picture and become part of the story. As for the storyline, I didn't entirely understand the point until I read the second-to-last page. Though I couldn't relate to the rest of it, that page caught my attention. The narrator said that whenever he is in one country (America or Japan) he is homesick for the other. I felt that I could relate to that. After spending even a few months in a Paris last semester, I feel that I can appreciate the feeling he had. While I was excited to be in Paris and to be experiencing new things, I missed my friends and family at home as well as the routine that I had developed here. However, though I am excited to be back, there are times when I wish more than anything that I could go back there. One day I will. I think that this could be a good book for students who have moved. It can show them that though they will miss their home, they will also come to see where they are now as a home and they will always keep a special place in their heart for where they grew up.

No comments: