Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Tuck Everlasting - Book-to-Movie


I listened to Tuck Everlasting, by Natalie Babbitt on audiotape read by Melissa Hughes. I enjoyed listening to it rather than reading because since the reader knew what was happening, she was able to put much more correct inflection in her voice. I felt as though I got a lot closer to the characters in the story than I might have otherwise. Actually, this was a story in which it was very easy for me to feel close with the characters. Winnie was a very innocent young girl who simply wanted to see things and make a difference in the world. Though I was not quite so sheltered as a child, I felt I could relate to her yearning to make a difference. It was interesting to me that I could easily relate to the Tucks. Though they were each over 100 years old, they seemed as real as anyone. They were wise, yet still had an innocence about them. Jesse's attraction to Winnie added even more to the realness of the Tucks and helped me relate to characters with whom I had seemingly nothing in common.

One idea that struck me while reading especially the second half of this book was the idea of teaching children about death. I felt that this book helped even me at 20 understand a little better the idea of death and dying. Though it shows that yes, death can be sad, it is a necessary part of life so that new people and things may live. I would definitely include this book in my classroom library.

No comments: