Sunday, November 30, 2008

Dear Papa - Historical Fiction


I remembered loving Dear Papa, by Anne Ylvisaker as a child, but I had not read it in a very long time. However, when I picked up this book and re-read it, I instantly remembered. This book is written in letter-format (which I love!). It is about a young girl, Isabelle, whose father has died. When her class learns to write letters, she decides to write to her father, her Papa. She soon starts writing him every day. It is like her way of journaling her life, but occasionally she even mails the letters to her father's sister. When Isabelle is sent to live with her uncle and aunt, she is especially thankful that she can write to her Papa. She hates being away and can't wait for her Mama to come take her back.

This book was everything I remembered it to be and I'm glad I got the chance to read it again. It is written as though a nine-year-old were writing it. I would use this book in my classroom. Though the letter-writing format is not always the best, it is written from the heart from a young girl to her papa.

No comments: