Thursday, November 13, 2008

Food and Festivals: Mexico - Multicultural

Food and Festivals: Mexico, by Linda Illsley, was very informational and, I believe, well arranged. It started with a map showing Mexico's location in relation to the United States and giving a list of some foods grown in Mexico. Then it went on to talk more about the foods, where they are grown, what they are used for, and some beliefs about them such as that Mexicans used to believe that corn was a gift from the gods, but in 1492, wheat was replaced as the sacred food. After the section on foods, this book talked about Family Celebrations such as baptisms, birthdays, and weddings. It even gave recipes for popular foods during these celebrations. It went on to talk about other celebrations such as Easter, Day of the Dead, and Christmas. It continued to give the history, celebration, beliefs, and foods for each holiday. There were always pictures included which, I believe, would give students a much better grasp of the concept than the words alone.

I would have this book in my classroom, especially if I go home to teach. However, I would first have to make sure that all of the information is accurate. At home, the elementary school I went to is currently 49% Hispanic so I believe it would be good to educate the students about Mexican food, language, and culture. This book had a well-organized way of doing just that.

No comments: