Sunday, November 30, 2008

Make Way for Ducklings - Caldecott Winner


I wasn't sure if I would like Make Way for Ducklings by Robert McCloskey because it is so old, but I was wrong. This book was very cute! It was about a mother duck and a father duck deciding where would be the best place to raise their family of ducklings. The first place they find is not safe at all! After that, they find a nice little island. The mother duck teaches the ducklings to swim and fend for themselves a little, then she takes them into Boston to go meet the daddy duck. The crossing guard helps them cross the street and everyone keeps them safe. I liked the idea of the city working together to keep the mommy duck and her ducklings safe. I like making sure ducks are safe! While I'm not sure how I would use this as a lesson in my classroom, I would like to keep it as part of my classroom library.

No comments: