Friday, November 14, 2008

Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus - Series Study


I started reading Junie B. Jones and the Stupid Smelly Bus, by Barbara Park, and immediately remembered why I loved these books as a kid. This is the first book in the series, but I was already addicted. It tells the story of Junie B.'s first day of kindergarten. She meets new friends and enemies such as that stupid Jim that she hates, she meets Mrs., her teacher, and she learns that she has to ride the bus and it's name is school bus, only she doesn't like the school bus. When her friend Lucille tells her that meanies on the bus are going to pour milk on her head, Junie B. decides to hide in the supply closet after school and get herself into a lot of trouble!

While I do love these stories, I think it is also important to note that Junie B.'s language skills are not always a good influence for young readers. She says things such as "Like when I do a somersault." as a full sentence. It would not be a good book for children who are learning about writing full sentences. I believe this would be a good read aloud. There are some pictures but not a lot, probably one every 2-4 pages. Junie B. is very expressive and I could see a lot of young girls loving this book. Actually, the 8-year-old I babysit at home loves this series!

No comments: