Wednesday, November 19, 2008

The Princess and the Pea / La Princesa y el Guisante - Traditional Literature


The Princess and the Pea / La Princesa y el Guisante, by Francesc Boada, was basically the traditional story of The Princess and the Pea, only not nearly as strong of a story. In this story, the prince is looking for a princess so he mounts his horse and travels the world looking for a princess to marry. He finds lots of princess but says there is always something wrong and he is never sure she is a true princess. One night, there is a terrible thunder storm and a princess arrived at the castle. In order to make sure she was a true princess, the queen put a pea on the bed under 20 feather mattresses and 20 wool mattresses. In the morning, the princess said she had slept poorly because of the lump in the mattress. Because of this, the queen knew she was a real princess and the prince married her.

I thought that this was an extremely basic version of the princess and the pea. I was not as interested in it as I usually am. I like this story but it was not the one I remembered hearing as a child. I had a problem with one of the pictures in the book as well. The princess is sitting in the garden once they find out she is a true princess and she is not wearing a top. Though her breasts are covered by her hair and necklaces, I still feel that this would not be appropriate for the classroom. I would have this story in my classroom but I would not choose this particular version.

No comments: