Thursday, November 13, 2008

Freight Trains - Nonfiction: Informational


Freight Trains, by Peter Brady is an informational book about the different parts of freight trains and the function of each part. At the end, it also includes the different meanings of train whistles, how to make a train whistle, and definitions of some vocabulary words used in the book. This book has a lot of pictures and good, yet simple descriptions of each part of a freight train. It seems like it would be very easy for children to understand.

When I read this book, I thought back to when I interned in a kindergarten classroom. At library time, all the boys liked to get nonfiction informational books. I could easily imagine one of them choosing this book. While some of the words may be difficult for kindergartners or first graders to read, they were well-explained. I would consider having this book available for my students if they were primary grades.

No comments: